Toad Hall, on Castro Street in San Francisco, was named after the home of “Toad” from the story “The Wind in the Willows”. Why? Because Toad was a misfit who didn’t quite fit into the community — much like many of the young men migrating to the Castro in the early 70s. Get it? Opened in 1971, Toad Hall was one of the first gay bars in the Castro, and quickly became a major social institution. The bar was a trendsetter, featuring the first dance floor in the Castro and one of the first anywhere to use taped music blasting out songs that flowed into each other seamlessly (other places still relied on jukeboxes). It caught on fire four times in its eight year existence — the third fire happened a few days before reopening after being repaired from the second fire — and the fourth at the reopening celebration. It closed in 1979 before a 5th fire could happen!
Read This to Hekp You Pick the Right Tee!
In an effort to offer as many options as possible, we've got a few styles and fabric weight, materials, etc, for you to choose from. Here's a little more info on the various options you see in the pull-down menu on our product pages. Hope it helps! And as always, if you have a question, please reach out via the MESSAGE US box below):
- Men's Lightweight T-shirt - Our most popular options are the Lightweight Heather (a blend of cotton and poly for a little more "stretch") and Lightweight Cotton (100% cotton) options. These run true to size, so you can feel comfortable ordering your normal size. These are brands like Canvas and Next Level. Similar to the more high-end "fashion" tees you see at Banana Republic. High-quality stitching and weaving create a light-feeling fit while wearing. 100% ring-spun cotton (Heather colors are 35% cotton/65% polyester). The heather blends have a slight stretch to them and are very lightweight, super soft, and will not shrink.
- Ladies Racerback Tank - These are a featherweight, but very sturdy "triblend" fabric blending 50% polyester, 25% combed ring-spun cotton, and 25% rayon. Extremely lightweight and just the right amount of stretch.
- Ladies Regular-fit T-shirt - Tapered-cut for women. 100% combed ring-spun cotton (Heather colors are 35% cotton/65% polyester). Cap sleeves, tapered through the torso, thinner, slight scoopneck collar. A true ladies-cut! They run a tad small, so order up if you prefer a little more room but still want a real ladies-cut shirt.
- Thermal Hoodie - 50% cotton/ 50% polyester. Warm, fleece-lined. Perfect weight and size. Run true to size. Great for smashing it on Game Days...or any day it's a bit cool out!
- Men's Long Sleeve T-shirt - 100% cotton, slightly-fitted, but not overly so. Pretty true to size. Very soft, ringspun cotton.
- Men’s Heavyweight T-shirt - 100% cotton (Heather colors are 90% cotton/10% polyester). Choose this if you want a heavier weight, feel. Heavier weight and "boxier" cut than the Lightweight tees. We use the desciptor "heavyweight" to denote the weight-feel of this option is thicker than our two "Lightweight" options (see below). Choose this option is you want an old-school, more 80s-style boxier cut, thicker collar, longer sleeves, wider body. Think Gildan or Comfort Colors style here. These are for guys (and gals, too!) who don't want today's lighter fabrics that are definitely all the rage. These feel a little "rougher" out of the package but will soften after a few washes.
We want you to be totally happy with your selection! If you need to exchange for a different size, please call us at 305-290-2323, option 3, or just reach out through the MESSAGE US button below! We will arrange to ship out a different size providing you return the original(s) to us at: Long Lost Tees, P.O. Box 1834 Key West, FL 33041.
***Please notify us of a size exchange within 30 days of purchase! Thanks.